Thursday, June 5, 2014

Acoustic Ecology

We live in a society that continually barrages us with sounds and we don't even notice it. Right now I'm sitting in a quiet room... but is it quiet? I hear the hum of my refrigerator, my sister talking on the phone in the next room, the tapping of keys on my laptop, my dog moving in his sleep, the rhythmic ticking of my fan and the yells of drunk college students off in the distance. It is relatively peaceful... right now. However, tomorrow will be filled with the sounds of automobiles whizzing by blending with my radio and my sister's I-pod, not to mention a host of electronic sounds at my work. Is it possible to know what silence really sounds like without even one appliance whirring in the background? Our minds have become accustomed to a constant blanket of noise; how would an absence of such stimulus affect us?
White torture is a term used to describe the psychological torture of sensory deprivation that results in severe psychosis. Obviously, some acoustic stimuli is beneficial to the human experience. The problem with the level of noise we currently experience is that much of it is electronic and unnatural. Plus, the general level of noise is just too high to be considered healthy. We need an environment that has natural, soft sounds but we live in a society of unnatural droning noises and harsh electronic intonations.
The soundscape association of Japan has compiled a list of the 100 most beautiful soundscapes in Japan and these areas are now protected. This means that a noisy factory or rave club cannot be built next to these sites and destroy the delicate balance of the sounds of nature. As technology advances and more sounds are man-made it would be a good idea to preserve soundscapes all around the world. Eventually, a global movement to limit noise pollution across as many towns as possible could be a healthy solution to the psyche problems that living in such an artificial environment can create.

No comments:

Post a Comment